NY TV anchor accused of choking wife at Conn. home
DARIEN, Conn. (AP) - February 19, 2013 (WPVI) -- A New York City TV anchorman issued a death threat against his wife as he was being arrested on charges of attacking her at their Connecticut home, according to a court document released Tuesday.
A Darien, Conn., police officer wrote that Morrison, who Darien, Conn., police officer wrote that Morrison, who works for WCBS-TV, "threatened that if he was released from police custody, he would kill his wife."
The document was offered in Superior Court in Stamford, Conn., in support of an order of protection against Morrison. Judge Kenneth Povadator ordered Morrison to stay 100 yards away from Ashley Morrison except when they're both at work.
She works for "CBS Moneywatch."
Morrison, 44, was charged Sunday with strangulation, threatening and disorderly conduct. Officers had been called by Morrison's mother-in-law to the couple's home in Darien. They said Morrison had been belligerent toward his wife throughout the night and had wrapped his hands around her neck, leaving red marks.
Morrison's lawyer, Robert Skovgaard, did not enter a plea at the arraignment. He said afterward a plea would come "at the appropriate time."
Skovgaard said Monday that the allegations had been exaggerated and on Tuesday he referred to his previous statement.
Outside the courthouse, Morrison said: "I did not choke my wife. I've never raised my hands to my wife."
He was released on the $100,000 bond he posted Sunday. He is due back in court March 26.
Morrison, who has been a combat correspondent and was a reporter and anchor for WNBC-TV, anchors WCBS-TV's news programs "This Morning" and "News at Noon." Ashley Morrison worked for Bloomberg Television before joining "CBS MoneyWatch."
The couple has a young son.
Skovgaard said that because of the order of protection, Morrison "will not be going home tonight."
connecticut, new york city, national/world
- Photos: LATEST MAPS: 6+" in parts of NJ
- Winter's Last Blast
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Co-pilot spoke missing plane's last words
- Video: Annie McCormick: Snow in Atlantic City 46 min ago
- Video: Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware 28 min ago
- Video: Car spins out on I-95 in South Phila.
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- Photos: Suspects in Pa. 'street-level' drug sweep
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Annie McCormick: Snow in Atlantic City
46 min ago
- Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware
28 min ago