NY suspends 2 officials amid blizzard fallout
FARMINGDALE, N.Y. (AP) - February 14, 2013 (WPVI) -- New York state has suspended two Transportation Department officials amid criticism of the snow-removal effort on eastern Long Island.
An attorney for one of the officials confirmed Thursday the suspensions are for 30 days without pay.
He says the Suffolk regional director for the Transportation Department was told about the suspension in an email Saturday night. The attorney says a transportation maintenance engineer also was suspended.
At least 30 inches of snow fell across eastern Long Island. Hundreds became stranded on roadways for hours.
Meanwhile, a town highway official in Brookhaven resigned Wednesday after reports some residents had to wait days to have their neighborhoods get plowed.
snow, new york, national/world
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Fire engulfs new high-rise apartment in Calif.
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases