Opposition activists say 31 dead in Damascus blast
DAMASCUS, Syria (AP) - February 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- Opposition activists say at least 31 people have been killed in a car bomb attack in Damascus near the headquarters of the ruling Baath party and the Russian Embassy.
The Britain-based activist group Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said most of the dead were civilians, but members of the Syrian security services were also killed in Thursday's attack.
Witnesses and opposition activists said the explosion targeted a security checkpoint central Mazraa neighborhood.
Syrian state TV also reported the blast, calling it a "terrorist" attack by a suicide bomber on a heavily populated area.
- More Snow on the Way 38 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Video: Preparing for more snow
- Video: Tracking more snow 58 min ago
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school 36 min ago
- Arrest in S. Phila. Christmas decoration theft
- Study: Child an hour injured on high chairs
- Princeton begins meningitis B vaccinations 37 min ago
- Video: Recapping the Eagles Snow Bowl 44 min ago
- Roy Halladay retires after 16 seasons 40 min ago
- Woman stabbed female cousin to death, police say
- More Snow on the Way
38 min ago