Small jet crash kills 5 in eastern Georgia
THOMSON, Ga. (AP) - February 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities were investigating after a small jet crashed off the end of a runway after landing in eastern Georgia, killing five people and injuring two.
Thomson-McDuffie County Sheriff Logan Marshall said the jet crashed after 8 p.m. Wednesday. He said the two survivors were taken to area hospitals but did not have information on their conditions. He said the identities of those killed were being withheld pending notification of family members.
The Hawker Beechcraft 390/Premier I departed from Nashville, Tenn., when it crashed just after landing at the Thomson-McDuffie County Airport, about 30 miles west of Augusta, Federal Aviation Administration spokeswoman Kathleen Bergen said in an email.
Seven people were aboard, she told The Associated Press in the email. She told The Augusta Chronicle that the National Transportation Safety Board will investigate and determine the probable cause of the crash.
The Augusta Chronicle cited Assistant County Fire Chief Stephen Sewell as saying there were at least two survivors identified as a pilot and a passenger. But he provided no additional information about those aboard.
The newspaper also said a brush fire flared near the crash scene, quoting witnesses who reported power outages that prompted a utility to send workers to the site.
The plane was on a flight from John Tune Airport in Nashville, Tenn., to the Thomson-McDuffie airport, Bergen said in her email, adding the aircraft is registered to a company based in Wilmington, Del.
plane crash, georgia, national/world
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt 39 min ago
- Man critical after police-involved shooting
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Serial burglar strikes South Phila. businesses
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Police release surveillance of Target heist
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Video: Man swallows gold bars in India
- Video: Dying dog in Canada has bucket list
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos