Mass. boy's rap videos inappropriate, police say
BROCKTON, Mass. (AP) - February 25, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police have asked state child welfare officials to investigate possible child abuse or neglect in the case of a 9-year-old who appears in sexually suggestive rap videos.
Brockton police said Monday they haven't filed criminal charges or arrested the father of fourth-grader Luie Rivera Jr., who goes by the stage name Lil Poopy.
A Department of Children and Families spokeswoman confirmed that officials are looking into concerns about the young rapper's welfare.
The investigation will include interviews with everyone who lives in the child's home and likely others who have contact with the 9-year-old, such as school officials, DCF spokeswoman Cayenne Isaksen said. Child welfare officials can refer the case to the local district attorney's office if an investigation finds any criminal behavior, she said.
"The filers of this report wanted to make sure the child is being properly cared for," Isaksen said. "...So the department will look into all aspects of this."
The videos show the boy slapping a woman's buttocks, engaging in sexually suggestive dances and glorifying drug use and materialism.
Police started investigating after the local newspaper, The Enterprise, did a story about the boy.
The boy's father, Luis Rivera, told the newspaper his son is acting and not doing anything wrong. He said he planned to contact his lawyer on Monday.
The newspaper said the boy has performed alongside Sean "P. Diddy" Combs, and was discovered in his father's music studio by the rapper known as French Montana, who founded Cocaine City Records.
Lil Poopy music that was posted to an online mix tape site last October has lyrics that include him singing about being a "bad boy" and a "cocaine cowboy."
It showed about 8,600 downloads and 195,000 views by Monday afternoon.
YouTube posts also feature the boy singing "Coke ain't a bad word," and show him with Coca-Cola.
church abuse, massachusetts, national/world
- Snow today, heavy at times 59 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Pictures from the winter storm
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps
- Gunman fires shots through window, teens wounded 58 min ago
- Heavy flames damage Southwest Philadelphia house 47 min ago
- Arrest made in Beats headphone murder
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school
- 2 PSU students charged with ethnic intimidation
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition
- Snow today, heavy at times
59 min ago
- John Rawlins tracks the snowstorm
20 min ago
- Katherine Scott tracks the storm from...
18 min ago