106-year-old Ohio woman to get high school diploma
LUCAS, Ohio (AP) - February 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- A 106-year-old Ohio woman is finally going to get her high school diploma.
Reba Williams said she completed high school in Mount Vernon in central Ohio but was denied her diploma because she refused to read a final book assigned by a teacher. She'd read the book once and didn't want to read it again.
The Mansfield News Journalreports that the Mount Vernon Board of Education approved issuing Williams' diploma earlier this month.
A retired English teacher at Mount Vernon High School had approached the board about giving Williams the diploma after reading about her earlier this year.
Williams was a longtime cook at what is now the state's only working farm and park, called Malabar Farm State Park.
She still has a sharp mind and lives with her daughter in Columbus.
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos