106-year-old Ohio woman to get high school diploma
LUCAS, Ohio (AP) - February 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- A 106-year-old Ohio woman is finally going to get her high school diploma.
Reba Williams said she completed high school in Mount Vernon in central Ohio but was denied her diploma because she refused to read a final book assigned by a teacher. She'd read the book once and didn't want to read it again.
The Mansfield News Journalreports that the Mount Vernon Board of Education approved issuing Williams' diploma earlier this month.
A retired English teacher at Mount Vernon High School had approached the board about giving Williams the diploma after reading about her earlier this year.
Williams was a longtime cook at what is now the state's only working farm and park, called Malabar Farm State Park.
She still has a sharp mind and lives with her daughter in Columbus.
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape
- Clouds, some sun, mild today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Newtown 911 dispatcher urged callers to take cover 27 min ago
- Walker autopsy complete; 'Fast & Furious 7' halted
- Photos: Paul Walker: Pictures of crash scene, vigil
- Suspect in killing of fmr. Marine surrenders
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Police: Threat to father used in local scam
- Hunting Park standoff ends with surrender
- Ocean County police to carry heroin antidote
- Sophia, Jackson most popular baby names of 2013
- Photos: Open House: Pat Croce's $7.95M mansion