Coastal Carolina U. student dies in shooting
CONWAY, S.C. (AP) - February 27, 2013 (WPVI) -- A student at Coastal Carolina University died after a shooting near the campus, a school spokeswoman said Wednesday.
Anthony Darnell Liddell, 19, a sophomore from Bennettsville, died after the shooting around 7:20 p.m. Tuesday at a residence hall near the school's Conway, S.C. campus, Coastal Carolina University spokeswoman Martha Hunn said.
Liddell was taken to Grand Strand Regional Medical Center in Myrtle Beach where he died.
The search continued Wednesday for the shooter. The State Law Enforcement Division was leading the search and investigation.
The school issued an alert using email and text messages around 8 p.m. and residence halls were locked down overnight.
But there was no apparent threat to students, faculty or staff on campus, Coastal Department of Public Safety Police Chief David Roper said.
Classes were to be held as planned Wednesday, the school said in a statement.
CCU Counseling Services professionals and ministers were to be on hand Wednesday to provide assistance to students.
Kaitlin Eriksen, who lives at University Place residence hall, told The Sun News of Myrtle Beach she was inside her apartment when she heard four or five shots. Eriksen said she went to her balcony to see where the shots came from and saw a man fall against the back of a car's rear window.
"He took about two steps back and then collapsed. He just fell out there," Eriksen said.
CCU freshman Katrina Shuleski lives in University Place and said she went outside and saw dozens of people gathered.
"I just saw somebody laying on the ground," she said.
According to the school's website, University Place houses nearly 2,000 students.
Coastal Carolina University has an enrollment of more than 9,000 students. The liberal arts school was founded in 1954.
shooting, college, south carolina, national/world
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet 40 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden 45 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Cat attacks toddler, parents call 911 1 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
45 min ago
- Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
31 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos