Maine report of woman carting fetus in bag probed
BANGOR, Maine (AP) - March 4, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities in Maine are investigating whether a woman was carrying a fetus in a bag as she walked in downtown Bangor, police said Monday.FIRST LINE
Police confronted the woman Friday afternoon after getting a call that she had a fetus, said Sgt. Paul Edwards. What appeared to be a fetus was inside a sealed plastic container the woman was carrying in a plastic grocery bag, he said.
Nobody was arrested, and no charges have been filed.
The state medical examiner was expected to conduct an examination Monday to determine whether it was indeed a fetus, and if so how old it was, whether it came from a miscarriage or abortion, and who the mother is, Edwards said.
The woman, whose identity was not made public, was interviewed and released, Edwards said.
"When we responded she came right to the police officer and handed it over," he said. He did not elaborate.
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow 34 min ago
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- 1 critical after being shot multiple times in Wilmington
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Phila. Police search for suspect in Rite Aid robbery
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police