Pistorius lawyers appeal bail conditions
JOHANNESBURG (AP) - March 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- Lawyers for Oscar Pistorius have filed an appeal in a South African court against bail restrictions imposed on the Olympian, who was charged with murdering his girlfriend.
The lawyers argue that evidence showed that the double-amputee athlete is not a flight risk and should have the option of traveling outside South Africa as long as he has official permission.
The appeal was filed Friday. On Monday, The Associated Press received a copy of the papers by email from representatives of the Pistorius family.
Pistorius was released on bail on Feb. 22. He was arrested on charges of murdering girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp on Feb. 14. Pistorius says he mistakenly shot Steenkamp, thinking she was an intruder in his home. Prosecutors believe he killed her intentionally after an argument.
south africa, homicide, olympics, national/world
- Video captures Laundromat robbery 21 min ago
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- On video: Armed robber fails after KFC workers flee 45 min ago
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp. 57 min ago
- Woman injured in incident on train tracks in Center City 53 min ago
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Woman injured in incident on train tracks...
53 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos