Queen cancels more engagements due to illness
LONDON (AP) - March 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- Royal officials say Queen Elizabeth II is cancelling engagements following her recent illness.
Buckingham Palace said in a statement Tuesday that she will cancel some events Wednesday and Thursday.
The 86-year-old monarch is recovering from a stomach bug she suffered last week. The illness led to a brief hospitalization, her first in a decade.
Officials say the monarch presented a poetry award on Tuesday, and will "continue with the usual rhythm of business at Buckingham Palace." But she is canceling two events on Wednesday and Thursday.
They say the queen hopes to resume engagements next week.
The queen had to cancel a visit to Rome, last week because she suffered from gastroenteritis, which causes vomiting, stomach pain and diarrhea.
england, queen elizabeth, national/world
- School Closings & Delays
- Tracking More Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Video: Downed power line in Lower Merion 3 min ago
- Video: Katherine Scott reports on icy AM conditions 34 min ago
- Video: John Rawlins reports on a slushy start 33 min ago
- Storm brings snowy, icy conditions to Pa., NJ
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Casino patron abducted, robbed and shot 53 min ago
- Nearly 1 foot of snow in parts of Delaware
- Video: Snow-lovers sled down Art Museum steps
- Video: Time lapse of snow at the Linc
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Katherine Scott reports on icy AM conditions
34 min ago
- John Rawlins reports on a slushy start
33 min ago
- Casino patron abducted, robbed and shot
53 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos