Another Carnival ship experiences problems
TAMPA, Fla. - March 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- Carnival Cruise Lines says another of its ships has experienced problems and is heading back to the Port of Tampa.
Late Thursday, the company said "a technical issue" affecting the sailing speed of the Legend forced the cancellation of a stop at Grand Cayman Islands.
Officials say the ship is expected to arrive in Tampa as scheduled Sunday following a seven-day cruise. Passengers will get a $100 credit, refunds on pre-purchased shore excursions in Grand Cayman and half off on a future cruise.
The Carnival Dream experienced problems with an on-board generator while docked in St. Maarten and the company announced Thursday that passengers would be flown home.
Several passengers told The Associated Press Power that power and water were out for about 10-20 minutes on Wednesday evening, contradicting media reports of longer outages and unsanitary conditions.
"We have toilets. We have water. It's no different than a regular day at sea," said 31-year-old Tasha Larson of Winston-Salem, North Carolina, after disembarking with her boyfriend to spend the day in St. Maarten.
Passengers Mary and Terry Washington of Tampa, Florida, said the generator malfunction gave them an additional day to spend in St. Maarten. "The plumbing is fine. The food is fine. Everything is fine," Mary Washington said.
Carnival Cruise Lines said the ship encountered a technical issue with its backup emergency diesel generator during the scheduled port and that they would make arrangements for the 3,646 passengers aboard the stranded ship Dream to fly home.
The Dream's March 16 voyage from Port Canaveral has been canceled.
An engine fire crippled the Carnival Triumph in February, leaving 4,200 stranded for five days without working toilets or power.
- Plane towed, probe begins in gear collapse 1 min ago
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Search for missing jet expands toward Indian Ocean
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash 40 min ago
- Fire damages Flap Jacks restaurant on City Avenue
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Pictures of suspects in Logan murder
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies 48 min ago
- 8th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- Plane towed, probe begins in gear collapse
1 min ago
- Man mistaken for dead passes away
45 min ago