Arkansas father arrested in deaths of 2 infants
SPRINGDALE, Ark. (AP) - March 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- An Arkansas man accused of fatally shaking two of his infant children in separate angry outbursts was charged Thursday with two counts of first-degree murder.
A 7-month-old baby was brought Wednesday to Northwest Medical Center, where doctors found the boy to have suspicious injuries.
Under questioning, the baby's father, Travis Fox, 24, of Springdale, told investigators "that he violently shook the child for an extended amount of time because the child was 'fussing,'''police said in a news release.
"He demonstrated the shake and it was violent," the release said.
Authorities said Fox acknowledged that he drank five beers before shaking the baby.
While the baby's death was being investigated, Springdale officers learned that Fox was under investigation for the Sept. 4, 2011, death of another of his children, a 6-month-old boy.
A Washington County sheriff's detective interviewed Fox about the baby's death in 2011.
"Mr. Fox admitted that he shook his 6-month-old son for 30-45 seconds because he was 'fussing,'" according to a prosecutor's report. "Mr. Fox said he was angered and tired because he was up for two days without sleep."
The report says Fox told the investigator that he admitted drinking tequila the day of the first death and that he'd tossed the child on a chair.
"Mr. Fox admitted he needs help for his anger," the report said.
It was unclear Thursday whether Fox had an attorney. He was being held without bond at the Washington County Jail.
arkansas, baby death, national/world
- Philadelphia cop accused of ripping off drug dealers 50 min ago
- Warm and humid, 80s again today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- WATCH ABC is available in Philadelphia!
- Report: FBI agent fatally shoots Tsarnaev associate
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide 50 min ago
- Hats get women ejected from KoP Mall 59 min ago
- Skippack student may have 'voluntarily' vanished
- Chesco man killed longtime girlfriend, police say
- Bar fight ends with 2 shot in SW Philadelphia
- Okla. residents come home to pick up the pieces
- Vatican insists that no papal exorcism took place
- Sleep monitors promise a better night's sleep
- Rob Jennings to retire after 36 Years at 6abc
- Police ID victim in water ice stand homicide
50 min ago
- TONIGHT at 11: How the right bra can make...
39 min ago