Woman killed, child raped in NY mall carjacking
CLAY, N.Y. (AP) - March 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police have accused a man of fatally stabbing a school librarian and raping her child after carjacking them at a central New York mall.
They say the woman was leaving a gymnastics class with her 10-year-old daughter when the attacker stopped them at the mall in Clay at about 9 p.m. Thursday.
Troopers say 29-year-old David Renz raped the girl and killed the woman in the Syracuse suburb. The girl managed to escape.
Trooper Jack Keller said Friday that the woman died Thursday night and the child is hospitalized.
Renz, of Cicero, has been charged with murder, rape and kidnapping. It wasn't initially known if he has a lawyer.
The Associated Press doesn't publish information that could identify potential sex-crime victims and isn't naming the woman to protect the child's identity.
new york, carjacking, rape, national/world
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run 24 min ago
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow 39 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
39 min ago
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit,...
24 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos