Woman killed, child raped in NY mall carjacking
CLAY, N.Y. (AP) - March 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police have accused a man of fatally stabbing a school librarian and raping her child after carjacking them at a central New York mall.
They say the woman was leaving a gymnastics class with her 10-year-old daughter when the attacker stopped them at the mall in Clay at about 9 p.m. Thursday.
Troopers say 29-year-old David Renz raped the girl and killed the woman in the Syracuse suburb. The girl managed to escape.
Trooper Jack Keller said Friday that the woman died Thursday night and the child is hospitalized.
Renz, of Cicero, has been charged with murder, rape and kidnapping. It wasn't initially known if he has a lawyer.
The Associated Press doesn't publish information that could identify potential sex-crime victims and isn't naming the woman to protect the child's identity.
new york, carjacking, rape, national/world
- Suspects sought in carjacking, abduction 5 min ago
- AccuWeather: Tracking a Wintry Weekend
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Pedestrian struck, killed on Broad Street 42 min ago
- 4 shot outside Del. club after Meek Mill performance 2 min ago
- Police: Pa. newlyweds killed man from Craigslist 6 min ago
- Cab driver shot outside Hunting Park nightclub
- Man critically injured in Camden County crash
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- Pearl Harbor ceremonies marks bombing anniversary
- More of US expected to see snow, sleet, ice
- 4 shot outside Del. club after Meek Mill...
2 min ago