12-year-old boy arrested in Minn. School lockdown
NEW PRAGUE, Minn. (AP) - March 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Minnesota school district locked down several buildings Wednesday after a 911 call that authorities later said was a prank, and a 12-year-old boy suspected of making the call was arrested.
The 8 a.m. emergency call prompted a lockdown at the middle school, high school and Central Education Campus buildings in New Prague, 45 miles southwest of Minneapolis. The male caller said he was inside one of the school buildings, Scott County Sheriff Kevin Studnicka said.
"He claimed he needed help because there was a shooter in the building with an AK-47 and that there were a couple of victims," Studnicka said. When dispatchers asked for the caller's cellphone number, he claimed it was a new phone and he didn't know the number, the sheriff said.
Police Chief Mark Vosejpka said police and deputies quickly determined no one was hurt and zeroed in on the 12-year-old boy. Vosejpka didn't explain what led them to suspect the boy.
Parents rushing to the scene were directed to a nearby church. Students were dismissed from the schools by late morning. Classes were canceled for the rest of the day but were expected to resume Thursday.
The middle and high schools have a combined enrollment of 2,067.
It was the second such disruption in the district this year. Two months ago, a student phoned in a bomb threat, Superintendent Larry Kauzlarich said. That student was expelled.
Associated Press writers Gretchen Ehlke in and Dinesh Ramde in Milwaukee contributed.
minnesota, school shooting, national/world
- Police: Man targeted in hit-and-run crash 12 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater 5 min ago
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Miley Cyrus still hospitalized, postpones Philly show
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom
- Is it time for smart watches?