Choking driver caused NM Walmart explosion, police say
DEMING, N.M. (AP) - March 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say man who choked on his food while driving caused a chain reaction that led to a fireball exploding over a Walmart in southwestern New Mexico.
The Deming Headlight reports 61-year-old Robert Sheppard told police he was eating as he drove Saturday in front of the Walmart Superstore in Deming and that he began to choke, causing him to lose control of his pickup truck.
According to police, the pickup, traveling at a "high rate of speed," struck a propane tank attached to a grill.
Witnesses reported seeing a massive fireball that extended over the roof of the store.
Police say three people were injured in the crash.
new mexico, accident, explosion, national/world
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 58 min ago
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ