Utah man dies while swinging from rock arch
MOAB, Utah (AP) - March 25, 2013 (WPVI) -- A 22-year-old Utah man was killed while swinging from a rock arch in a stunt made popular by YouTube.
Grand County sheriff's officials say Kyle Lee Stocking, of West Jordan, died about 3:30 p.m. Sunday, after hitting the ground below the 140-foot-tall Corona Arch near Moab.
Sheriff's Lt. Kim Neal tells The Salt Lake Tribune the length of rope from the arch was miscalculated and sent Stocking swinging into the ground as he went under the red sandstone formation.
Rescuers say he was dead at the scene.
Viral videos have bolstered the activity, which involves using rock climbing ropes and jumping from near the top of the arch. One titled "World's Largest Rope Swing" has racked up more than 17 million views on YouTube since it was posted in February.
- Nelson Mandela dies at age 95
- Wet to Wintry
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Nelson Mandela: Through the years
- Obama mourns death of icon Nelson Mandela
- Restaurant owner slashes robber with sushi knife
- Surveillance: Christmas packages stolen from home 46 min ago
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera
- Police raid alleged chop shop in South Philadelphia 54 min ago
- Fmr. Marine's murder suspect held on $2M bail
- Sinkhole opens up on Northern Liberties street
- Pizza delivery man shot in Overbrook
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep