Lawyer says 17-year-old not guilty in baby killing
BRUNSWICK, Ga. (AP) - March 25, 2013 (WPVI) -- The lawyer for one of the Georgia teenagers suspected in the shooting death of a baby who was in his stroller on a walk with his mother said Monday his client is "absolutely" not guilty.
"My client is absolutely, 1,000-percent not guilty," public defender Kevin Gough, who represents 17-year-old De'Marquise Elkins, told The Associated Press. He made the comments Monday, while preparing for Elkins' first court appearance on a murder charge. It was scheduled for 2 p.m. Monday.
Elkins and another 14-year-old boy are charged with murder in Thursday's shooting of the baby, Antonio Santiago, and the wounding of his mother, Sherry West.
The 14-year-old appeared in court earlier Monday. The Associated Press generally doesn't identify juvenile offenders. Elkins is charged as an adult.
At Monday morning's hearing, the 14-year-old came into the courtroom shackled and wearing a baggy orange jumpsuit, The Florida Times-Union reported.
He glanced at the few members of the media allowed into the courtroom for the initial appearance as he shuffled to a lectern facing Glynn County Magistrate Tim Barton.
The magistrate told the boy he couldn't set a bond because only Superior Court judges can do so in murder cases.
"I'm going to see that you get a lawyer immediately," Barton told the boy.
The 14-year-old was in the eighth grade at Glynn Middle School before his arrest, said Jim Weidhaas, a spokesman for the Glynn County school system.
Elkins was last a student in the system in October 2011 when he left Ombudsman, an outsourced alternative school program, Weidhaas said.
The baby's mother said she was walking home Thursday morning when two boys confronted her and one of them opened fire. Police say she was shot in the leg, and her baby was shot in face.
Gough said he has demanded a bond hearing and filed a request for a speedy trial for Elkins.
"We look forward to our day in court," he said.
georgia, baby death, shooting, national/world
- London theater partially collapses; 80 injured 7 min ago
- Record Weekend Warmth 27 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Video captures Laundromat robbery
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Cat hoarder at Grace Kelly home found guilty 22 min ago
- Arsonist tries to torch atheist billboard in NJ
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp. 20 min ago
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings 12 min ago
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Uwchlan Twp. man arrested following...
45 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos