Strong quake sways buildings in Taiwan, kills 1
TAIPEI, Taiwan (AP) - March 27, 2013 (WPVI) -- A strong earthquake struck central Taiwan on Wednesday, killing at one person and injuring 19 as it damaged buildings on the quake-prone island.
The Central Weather Bureau said the magnitude-6.1 earthquake was felt throughout the island. Buildings swayed in the capital, Taipei, and sections of the high-speed rail line were suspended from service to be inspected for damage.
The U.S. Geological Survey placed the magnitude at 6.0. The quake's depth was a relatively shallow 15 kilometers (9 miles).
Emergency officials said a 72-year-old woman died when a temple wall she was standing next to collapsed and crushed her in the mostly rural county of Nantou.
Near the Nantou epicenter, a section of a ceiling fell from a government office and injured one worker, officials said. In all, at least 19 people were injured, mostly by falling objects, the Fire Department said. A house fire caused by leaking gas was quickly put out, it added.
Nantou government official Chen Min-hui said tiles fell from a few school buildings and minor cracks appeared on walls, but all structures remained intact.
Nantou is a rural county about 250 kilometers (about 155 miles) south of Taipei. It is near the epicenter of a magnitude-7.6 earthquake that killed more than 2,300 people in 1999.
Earthquakes frequently rattle Taiwan, but most are minor and cause little or no damage.
taiwan, earthquake, national/world
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife 10 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot by off-duty cop during fight ID'd
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar
- Man arrested after Phila. police crash, chase ID'd 52 min ago
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 13 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery 55 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from the 2014 Red Ball