Calif. man found dead hanging off high-rise
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - April 1, 2013 (WPVI) -- A man appears to have died accidentally from asphyxiation when he lowered himself off an 18-story office building in downtown Sacramento with a rope, a fire official said Monday.
It remains undetermined why the man created a harness and lowered himself down the east side of the high-rise, said Sacramento Fire Department Battalion Chief Marc Bentovoja. He said the man did not appear to work for the building and investigators are reviewing building security cameras to determine how he got in.
It's unclear how long the body had been hanging four floors from the top of the nearly 240-feet building.
"From everything we can tell, he didn't have any special rope rappelling equipment on, climbing equipment or anything like that," he said. "He appeared to be looped into the rope."
Police and fire crews responded after receiving a call at 7:44 a.m. Monday. Rescue personnel were seen rappelling down the side of the building to check out the object and retrieved the body shortly after 9 a.m.
Bentovoja said the coroner will conduct an autopsy and even though the man had identification on him, police were still trying to identify the man.
Formally named the 1201 K Tower, the building houses offices for lobbyists, public relations businesses and law firms that do business two blocks away at the Capitol.
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe 54 min ago
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police try to ID mystery hit-and-run victim 38 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- Video: Secret Oreo cookie recipe sold to China 12 min ago
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
54 min ago
- Police try to ID mystery hit-and-run victim
38 min ago