Shooting after Easter church service in Ohio
ASHTABULA, Ohio (AP) - March 31, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police in northeast Ohio are investigating a shooting outside a church that a parishioner says left one man dead after an Easter service.
Ashtabula police would not immediately confirm the fatality; an officer answering the telephone would say only that authorities were investigating.
A member of the Hiawatha Church of God in Christ said the man was shot soon after Easter services ended, around 1:15 p.m. Sunday. Joan Crockett said the man knew the shooter, and that a suspect was taken into custody. She said the wounded man died.
The Plain Dealer newspaper in Cleveland reported that the church's pastor said congregants were leaving when they heard a gunshot.
"People pushed me into a back office and said, 'Somebody's here with a gun,'" said the Rev. David Howard Jr. "The guy was outside hollering and acting crazy."
There were no immediate reports of any other injuries.
Howard said the church has about 175 members. He said people at the church didn't know what led up to the shooting.
"It's such a tragic loss," Crockett said.
ohio, easter, shooting, national/world
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion 34 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire 53 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 24 min ago
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp....
24 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos