Transgender man to comment on denial of divorce
PHOENIX (AP) - April 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- A transgender man whose divorce request was rejected by an Arizona judge is expected to comment for the first time Tuesday on the ruling that prevents him from ending his marriage.
Thomas Beatie was born a woman and later underwent a double-mastectomy and began hormone therapy to become a man. But he retained female reproductive organs and gave birth to three children.
Maricopa County Family Court Judge Douglas Gerlach ruled last week that he has no jurisdiction to approve the divorce because Arizona doesn't recognize same-sex marriages and there isn't enough evidence that Beatie was a man when he married Nancy Beatie in Hawaii.
The judge said the Beaties never provided records to fully explain what Thomas Beatie had done to become a man and noted Beatie halted hormone treatments so he could remain capable of getting pregnant.
divorce, marriage, national/world
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Breezy And Mild! 40 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected 37 min ago
- Renovation competitors fight at Phila. fire scenes
- Moving day for Oak Lane Garden residents
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike 14 min ago
- 100 plus weight loss journey to healthy living
- Boyd Theatre to be demolished, rebuilt
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Breezy And Mild!
40 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos