Transgender man to comment on denial of divorce
PHOENIX (AP) - April 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- A transgender man whose divorce request was rejected by an Arizona judge is expected to comment for the first time Tuesday on the ruling that prevents him from ending his marriage.
Thomas Beatie was born a woman and later underwent a double-mastectomy and began hormone therapy to become a man. But he retained female reproductive organs and gave birth to three children.
Maricopa County Family Court Judge Douglas Gerlach ruled last week that he has no jurisdiction to approve the divorce because Arizona doesn't recognize same-sex marriages and there isn't enough evidence that Beatie was a man when he married Nancy Beatie in Hawaii.
The judge said the Beaties never provided records to fully explain what Thomas Beatie had done to become a man and noted Beatie halted hormone treatments so he could remain capable of getting pregnant.
divorce, marriage, national/world
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Upper Darby's Chitwood reflects on career
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed