Michelle Obama challenges kids with lunch contest
WASHINGTON (AP) - April 3, 2013 (WPVI) -- Children from across the nation will rub elbows with Michelle Obama and dine off fine china in the East Room of the White House this summer as part of a contest to promote healthy eating.
The first lady is asking children ages 8 to 12 and their parents to create nutritious lunch recipes that represent each of the food groups for "The Healthy Lunchtime Challenge."
Winners will travel to Washington to sample some of the original dishes at the second White House kids' "state dinner" luncheon this summer.
The deadline to submit recipes is May 12. Last year's challenge received more than 1,200 entries.
The contest, created by Epicurious.com, is a partnership among the food website, Mrs. Obama and the departments of Education and Agriculture.
michelle obama, children, food, national/world
- Suspects sought in carjacking, abduction 51 min ago
- AccuWeather: Tracking a Wintry Weekend
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Pedestrian struck, killed on Broad Street 20 min ago
- 4 shot outside Delaware nightclub 5 min ago
- Police: Pa. newlyweds killed man from Craigslist 10 min ago
- Cab driver shot outside Hunting Park nightclub
- Man critically injured in Camden County crash
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- Pearl Harbor ceremonies marks bombing anniversary
- More of US expected to see snow, sleet, ice
- 4 shot outside Delaware nightclub
5 min ago