More than $4M in jewelry stolen from Connecticut store
MERIDEN, Conn. (AP) - April 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- More than $4 million worth of jewelry was stolen from a Fairfield store by two armed men who along with others carried out a home invasion more than 40 miles away, kidnapping the store manager and another employee, Connecticut authorities said Friday.
Four or five men wearing masks and gloves bound and gagged with duct tape the manager, employee and two others Thursday at the Meriden residence, police said.
The two employees were then taken at gunpoint in the manager's BMW and driven from Meriden to Fairfield, police said. Authorities say the robbery of the safe at Lenox Jewelry took five minutes.
Police say the victims reported they were restrained in the back of the store while the robbers left in their vehicle. They were able to free themselves and call police Thursday night.
Police say all the victims were unharmed and the identity of the suspects is unknown.
Fairfield police say the car taken in the home invasion was recovered Friday after officials received a tip.
The suspects were believed to be communicating with each other and coordinating their efforts during the robbery, police said. The two victims held in Meriden were released one minute after the two suspects left the Fairfield jewelry store, police said.
Fairfield police say they're working with Meriden police and consulting the FBI to determine if the robbery has any similarities to other robberies in the Northeast.
Fairfield police released a 911 call in which a man says they were followed to Meriden where hostages were being held.
connecticut, kidnapping, robbery, national/world
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding 26 min ago
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's 5 min ago
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students 55 min ago
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in Talleyville
- Car, SUV collide outside Trenton firehouse
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Accused Craigslist robber charged with murdering accomplice 13 min ago
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Security breach affected all cards, not...
5 min ago