Video shows bomb suspect dodging blast, Mass. gov says
WATERTOWN, Mass. - April 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- Surveillance video from the Boston Marathon attack shows one suspect dropping his backpack and calmly walking away from it before the bomb inside it exploded, Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick said Sunday.
The video clearly puts 19-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev at the scene of the attack, Patrick said on NBC.
"It does seem to be pretty clear that this suspect took the backpack off, put it down, did not react when the first explosion went off and then moved away from the backpack in time for the second explosion," Patrick said. "It's pretty clear about his involvement and pretty chilling, frankly."
He added, however, that he hasn't viewed all the tapes but had been briefed by law enforcement about them.
Investigators have determined the bombs were fashioned from pressure cookers packed with explosives, nails and ball bearings and hidden in black backpacks. Three people were killed and more than 180 injured when the two bombs exploded Monday about four hours into the race.
Tsarnaev was captured Friday after being pulled bloody and wounded from a tarp-covered boat in a suburban Boston backyard. He is being guarded by armed officers while he recovers at a Boston hospital. He is in serious condition and hasn't been able to communicate with investigators.
His 26-year-old brother and alleged accomplice, Tamerlan, died earlier Friday after a gunbattle with police.
The brothers are also suspected of killing an MIT police officer Thursday and severely injuring a transit officer.
Patrick said Sunday on CBS' "Face the Nation" that law enforcement officials believe the immediate threat ended when police killed Tamerlan Tsarnaev and captured Dzhokhar.
The governor said he has no idea why someone would deliberately harm "innocent men, women and children in the way that these two fellows did."
On Saturday, Patrick appeared on the field at Fenway Park with dozens of local and state police before the Boston Red Sox's first home game since the bombings.
boston, boston marathon bombing, national/world
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd 45 min ago
- Easter Sunshine Sunday 25 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard 31 min ago
- Elderly man struck, killed in Rhawnhurst 45 min ago
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus 45 min ago
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off 45 min ago
- Crimefighters: Reward in Camden drive-thru murder 28 min ago
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean ferry 44 min ago
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire 45 min ago
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
45 min ago
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search...
45 min ago
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean...
44 min ago
- Easter Sunshine Sunday
25 min ago