General, wife killed crash of private plane in Virginia
April 22, 2013 (WILLIAMSBURG, Va.) -- Authorities are investigating a plane crash that killed a decorated Air Force general and his wife near Williamsburg, Va.
The Air Force says Maj. Gen. Joseph D. Brown IV and his wife, Susan D. Brown, died Friday when the single-engine Cessna 210 he was flying crashed.
Joseph Brown was commandant of the Dwight D. Eisenhower School for National Security and Resource Strategy at the National Defense University in Washington, D.C. He formerly was assigned to U.S. Strategic Command at Offutt Air Force Base.
Virginia State Police spokeswoman Corinne Geller said the crash occurred at 4:53 p.m. Friday near the Williamsburg-Jamestown Airport, where the plane was supposed to land. The Browns' dog also was killed. There were no other passengers on the plane.
"We are deeply saddened by the loss of Joe Brown and his wife, Sue. Our thoughts and prayers are with their family, friends, and the members of the National Defense University as they come to terms with the tragedy. Joe and Sue dedicated their lives in service to our nation and their loss will be felt across our Air Force and joint team." - Secretary of the Air Force Michael Donley and Air Force Chief of Staff Gen Mark A. Welsh III
Brown served in the Air Force since 1980. During his 33 years of service, Brown flew more than 4,300 hours in B-1 and B-2 aircraft and commanded a bombardment squadron at Dyess Air Force Base, Texas, and both a group and wing at Ellsworth AFB, S.D., an Air Force news release said.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Easter Sunshine Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Elderly man struck, killed in Rhawnhurst
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Crimefighters: Reward in Camden drive-thru murder
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean ferry
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police