Body found in RI park may be that of Brown student Sunil Tripathi
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - April 24, 2013 (WPVI) -- The Rhode Island medical examiner's office is trying to determine whether a body found in Providence is that of a missing Brown University student.
City police say members of Brown's crew team found the body Tuesday afternoon in waters off a city park.
Authorities say the man appeared to be in his 20s. Cmdr. Thomas Oates says there are indications it could be 22-year-old Sunil Tripathi, who disappeared in March. He declined to elaborate.
Relatives of Tripathi, who's from Bryn Mawr, Pa., have been searching for him with help from the FBI and Brown students.
Tripathi's family says he was on leave from the Ivy League school and living with classmates in Providence.
The medical examiner's office was planning an autopsy for Wednesday. Oates said identification wasn't expected until Thursday.
rhode island, body found, missing person, national/world
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- AccuWeather: Friday Clouds and SE Rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run