Body found in RI park may be that of Brown student Sunil Tripathi
PROVIDENCE, R.I. - April 24, 2013 (WPVI) -- The Rhode Island medical examiner's office is trying to determine whether a body found in Providence is that of a missing Brown University student.
City police say members of Brown's crew team found the body Tuesday afternoon in waters off a city park.
Authorities say the man appeared to be in his 20s. Cmdr. Thomas Oates says there are indications it could be 22-year-old Sunil Tripathi, who disappeared in March. He declined to elaborate.
Relatives of Tripathi, who's from Bryn Mawr, Pa., have been searching for him with help from the FBI and Brown students.
Tripathi's family says he was on leave from the Ivy League school and living with classmates in Providence.
The medical examiner's office was planning an autopsy for Wednesday. Oates said identification wasn't expected until Thursday.
rhode island, body found, missing person, national/world
- Drexel student found dead in sorority house 14 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday 37 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run 10 min ago
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Video: Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
37 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos