Michigan man lived with corpse in trailer, police say
REDFORD TOWNSHIP, Mich. (AP) - April 26, 2013 (WPVI) -- A man lived with the decomposing corpse of a 72-year-old woman for about six months before court officers serving an eviction notice discovered her body moldering on a sofa in a Detroit-area trailer home, police said Friday.
Dennis McCauley, 64, was arrested Monday after letting the officer into the trailer at Long's Mobile Home Court in Redford Township, west of Detroit.
"The officer noted a pungent smell of decay and observed a corpse in the room immediately to the right of the front door," Redford Township police Sgt. Kevin Crittenden said Friday. "He called us. The corpse had obviously been deceased for some time and was partially dried out."
McCauley told the officer that the woman was called Ann Marquis and that he did not kill her, Crittenden said. Preliminary results from an autopsy indicate she died of natural causes. Toxicology results were pending.
Marquis was named in the eviction notice and the trailer was in her name.
"We know they lived together about three years," Crittenden said. "Based on witness statements and other statements it would appear Ann Marquis died sometime in November."
McCauley was arraigned Monday for failing to report a death, mutilation of a corpse, larceny, uttering and publishing involving social security checks, identity theft and other charges.
"When we found the body, the upper arm was separated from the right shoulder," Crittenden said, referring to the mutilation charge. The autopsy determined that separation occurred after Marquis died.
McCauley was ordered held in the Wayne County Jail on a $250,000 bond. He did not have an attorney Friday.
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- Tracking Weekend Storm 2 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash 28 min ago
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering 22 min ago
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges 49 min ago
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft 59 min ago
- Suspect sought after West Philadelphia bank robbery 41 min ago
- North Korea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- DA: Woman stole $81K from Montco church
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees
- Tracking Weekend Storm
2 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos