Union beat Fire 1-0 in MLS on McInerney's goal
BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. (AP) - May 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- Jack McInerney scored his league-leading seventh goal of the season Saturday and Zac MacMath made six saves to lead the Philadelphia Union to a 1-0 victory over the Chicago Fire.
McInerney took a 35-yard pass from substitute Sebastien Le Toux in the 75th minute, danced around defender Jalil Anibaba and slipped the ball by diving goalkeeper Sean Johnson.
The victory was the first in three matches for Philadelphia (4-3-3) and only the second in its last seven games. It was the fourth loss for the Fire (2-6-1) in the last six matches and the second straight game without a goal. Chicago has been shut out in five of its nine matches this MLS season.
This was MacMath's second shutout of the season, with Chicago's best chances coming from midfield. He kicked away Dan Paladini's point-blank boot in the 33rd minute and made a diving stop on Quincy Amarikwa in the 95th minute to seal the victory.
philadelphia union, illinois, national/world
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife 4 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot by off-duty cop during fight ID'd
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar
- Man arrested after Phila. police crash, chase ID'd 46 min ago
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- SEPTA, union resume talks to avoid strike
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 7 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery 49 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from the 2014 Red Ball