Union beat Fire 1-0 in MLS on McInerney's goal
BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. (AP) - May 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- Jack McInerney scored his league-leading seventh goal of the season Saturday and Zac MacMath made six saves to lead the Philadelphia Union to a 1-0 victory over the Chicago Fire.
McInerney took a 35-yard pass from substitute Sebastien Le Toux in the 75th minute, danced around defender Jalil Anibaba and slipped the ball by diving goalkeeper Sean Johnson.
The victory was the first in three matches for Philadelphia (4-3-3) and only the second in its last seven games. It was the fourth loss for the Fire (2-6-1) in the last six matches and the second straight game without a goal. Chicago has been shut out in five of its nine matches this MLS season.
This was MacMath's second shutout of the season, with Chicago's best chances coming from midfield. He kicked away Dan Paladini's point-blank boot in the 33rd minute and made a diving stop on Quincy Amarikwa in the 95th minute to seal the victory.
philadelphia union, illinois, national/world
- $105,000 taken in Tacony armored car heist
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Brandywine Park flasher surrenders 7 min ago
- Photos: Suspects in Ocean Co. child porn sweep
- Beau Biden to run for governor in Del.
- 5 injured in 7 vehicle wreck on I-95 in Del.
- Police investigate serious crash in Levittown
- Mom surrenders after daughter, 11, shot and killed 7 min ago
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Popular chocolate maker shut down by city
- Man with samurai sword arrested at New Jersey deli
- Teen urinates in Oregon drinking water supply