Teacher Maureen Oleskiewicz chokes on hot dog at Chicago Cubs game, dies
CHICAGO - May 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- A 28-year-old teacher has died after choking on a hot dog while attending a Chicago Cubs game Sunday.
Officials tell WLS-TV in Chicago that Maureen Oleskiewicz of Orland Park was sitting in the bleachers Sunday around 12:55 p.m. when she began choking.
Ballpark staff and onsite EMTs responded and transported her to Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center where she died.
Oleskiewicz was a teacher at Independence Junior High School in Palos Heights.
"The Chicago Cubs are saddened to hear news of the untimely death of Maureen Oleskiewicz. We express our deepest sympathy to her family and friends. We will continue to keep her family in our thoughts and prayers during this difficult time," a Cubs news release said.
Incarnation Catholic Church in Palos Heights is hosting a prayer service Thursday at 7 p.m. in honor of Oleskiewicz, according to a statement posted on School District 128 website.
"There is no magic wand to fix what we cannot comprehend," District 128 Supt. Kathleen Casey wrote in a letter to parents. "Maureen had a positive impact on countless students, parents and & colleagues. Her vibrant, positive outlook on life and her joyful nature will be missed more than words can convey."
- SEPTA unveils strike plan; union says strike unlikely 9 min ago
- Milder this afternoon, snow possible Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 16 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from PHL after landing gear collapse
- Investigator: Missing plane flew over Malaysia 13 min ago
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- Truck overturns on Paoli Pike; 1 injury
- Drunk driving suspected in Center City crash
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- SEPTA unveils strike plan; union says...
9 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
16 min ago