Doctor attacked girlfriend over Facebook post, police say
MIAMI (AP) - May 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a plastic surgeon in Miami attacked his girlfriend for several hours over a Facebook posting, forcing her head into a toilet and stuffing a rag in the woman's mouth at one point.
Police say 41-year-old Orlando Llorente was charged Wednesday with kidnapping, attempted murder and other charges. He was being held Thursday without bail in the Miami-Dade County jail.
Llorente grabbed the 36-year-old woman by the hair on April 21, took her into the bathroom and stuck her head in the toilet, said Miami police spokeswoman Kenia Reyes. She said he also forced her into the bathtub, stuffed a rag in her mouth and poured water over her face.
Police didn't say what was in the Facebook posting that prompted the attack, which authorities said lasted some 16 hours. The woman was let go after promising Llorente she wouldn't tell anyone what happened.
Llorente's attorney, Marcos Beaton, said his client surrendered voluntarily to police and wants to clear his name.
"He reached out to law enforcement, through his lawyers, when these false allegations surfaced. We are disappointed that our requests for more time in which to present a thorough and thoughtful examination into the source of the allegations and the facts surrounding them was declined," Beaton said, according to The Miami Herald.
florida, plastic surgery, facebook, national/world
- Cab driver shot outside Hunting Park nightclub
- Wintry Weekend
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Man critically injured in Camden County crash
- 4 shot outside Delaware nightclub
- More of US expected to see snow, sleet, ice
- Pearl Harbor ceremonies marks bombing anniversary
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- 2nd suspect surrenders in Christmas package theft
- Temple University cuts 7 intercollegiate sports
- Residents displaced after high-rise fire
- NKorea says it deported US tourist and war vet
- Victim ID'd in deadly Wilmington hit-and-run