Smoke causes brief evacuation of White House West Wing
WASHINGTON (AP) - May 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- Reporters and photographers were evacuated briefly from the West Wing of the White House early Saturday because of smoke from an overheated transformer in a mechanical room.
President Barack Obama and his family were not affected by the incident, according to the White House.
U.S. Secret Service spokesman Max Milien said that at about 7 a.m., smoke was seen coming from a mechanical room closet on the first floor.
Journalists and others were evacuated out of "an abundance of caution" and the District of Columbia fire department was called, he said.
People were allowed back into the building about an hour later.
No injuries were reported.
washington, d.c., white house, national/world
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish 46 min ago
- Gov. Christie signs immigrant tuition bill 26 min ago
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar