University of Oregon tennis player Alex Rovello drowns
EUGENE, Ore. (AP) - May 13, 2013 (WPVI) -- The University of Oregon says that tennis player Alex Rovello died in a diving accident Saturday at Tamolitch Falls in the Willamette National Forest.
The Linn County Sherriff's Department says friends and bystanders tried to rescue Rovello after he failed to surface in the Blue Pool at the base off the falls, but they were hampered by the depth of the pool and 37-degree water.
Rovello had a 21-8 match record this past season as a No. 3 and No. 4 singles player. He and partner Daan Maasland also won 16 doubles matches.
A native of Portland, Rovello was a standout at Cleveland High School.
Oregon says Rovello's family is planning a memorial service for Saturday, May 18th.
oregon, drowning, national/world
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit, run 27 min ago
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow 42 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Malaysian leader: plane's disappearance deliberate
- Elderly woman crashes into Toms River law ofc.
- 2 couples robbed at gunpoint in North Philly
- Del. trooper charged with stalking, harassment
- Community relief for victims of Ewing Twp. explosion
- Fire forces 11 people from their homes
- Driver crashes SUV into pole in East Falls, DUI suspected
- 3 people injured in Roosevelt Boulevard crash
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Authorities: Chris Brown arrested on warrant
- Tracking St. Patty's Day Snow
42 min ago
- Man critically injured in Willingboro hit,...
27 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos