University of Oregon tennis player Alex Rovello drowns
EUGENE, Ore. (AP) - May 13, 2013 (WPVI) -- The University of Oregon says that tennis player Alex Rovello died in a diving accident Saturday at Tamolitch Falls in the Willamette National Forest.
The Linn County Sherriff's Department says friends and bystanders tried to rescue Rovello after he failed to surface in the Blue Pool at the base off the falls, but they were hampered by the depth of the pool and 37-degree water.
Rovello had a 21-8 match record this past season as a No. 3 and No. 4 singles player. He and partner Daan Maasland also won 16 doubles matches.
A native of Portland, Rovello was a standout at Cleveland High School.
Oregon says Rovello's family is planning a memorial service for Saturday, May 18th.
oregon, drowning, national/world
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- Mostly sunny, very windy today 16 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man critical after shooting in SW Phila. 1 min ago
- Fire damages corner produce store in North Philly 11 min ago
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Serial burglar strikes South Phila. businesses
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Middle Township crash
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Arrest warrant issued in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Police release surveillance of Target heist
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
16 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos