Temporary Brooklyn Bridge closure over left car
NEW YORK - May 27, 2013 (WPVI) -- An abandoned SUV on the Brooklyn Bridge brought traffic to a halt for about an hour at the tail end of the Memorial Day long weekend as New York City police temporarily shut down the roadway to determine if the vehicle was a threat.
Authorities said a call about the car, a Dodge Durango with no license plates on the Manhattan-bound lanes, came in around 5:15 p.m. Monday. The vehicle was stopped a short distance into the bridge's span coming from the Brooklyn side of the East River.
Police shut down traffic in both directions around 6 p.m., causing a traffic headache as drivers were forced to find alternate routes. Authorities declared the all-clear around 7 p.m., with traffic resuming soon after.
The New York Police Department's bomb squad and other investigators headed to the area to check out the car. Television footage showed police trucks stationed on the empty span near the blue SUV as traffic backed up on nearby roadways.
The bridge has been closed before because of suspicious packages.
In October 2010, the bridge was shut down for less than an hour over a report of a suspicious package that turned out to be a false alarm. In June 2009, three empty black suitcases on the bridge shut it down for just over an hour.
new york, national/world
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in missing Malaysian jet 27 min ago
- Finally, a nice weekend! 16 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Bucks Co. mom arrested for Walmart theft 12 min ago
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton shooting
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian killed in Collingdale hit-and-run
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Finally, a nice weekend!
16 min ago
- Vietnam spots oil slicks in missing...
27 min ago
- Police: Bucks Co. mom arrested for Walmart...
12 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos