Temporary Brooklyn Bridge closure over left car
NEW YORK - May 27, 2013 (WPVI) -- An abandoned SUV on the Brooklyn Bridge brought traffic to a halt for about an hour at the tail end of the Memorial Day long weekend as New York City police temporarily shut down the roadway to determine if the vehicle was a threat.
Authorities said a call about the car, a Dodge Durango with no license plates on the Manhattan-bound lanes, came in around 5:15 p.m. Monday. The vehicle was stopped a short distance into the bridge's span coming from the Brooklyn side of the East River.
Police shut down traffic in both directions around 6 p.m., causing a traffic headache as drivers were forced to find alternate routes. Authorities declared the all-clear around 7 p.m., with traffic resuming soon after.
The New York Police Department's bomb squad and other investigators headed to the area to check out the car. Television footage showed police trucks stationed on the empty span near the blue SUV as traffic backed up on nearby roadways.
The bridge has been closed before because of suspicious packages.
In October 2010, the bridge was shut down for less than an hour over a report of a suspicious package that turned out to be a false alarm. In June 2009, three empty black suitcases on the bridge shut it down for just over an hour.
new york, national/world
- 1 dead, 5 hurt in Trenton drive-by shooting
- Record Warmth! 57 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish
- Crews battle house fire in Elsmere
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies
- Photos: Snowy owl spotted in Strathmere 48 min ago
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case
- Police search for missing Delco mother
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Record Warmth!
57 min ago