Washington Township woman recalls cruise ship fire
BALTIMORE - May 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- Jennifer Allen of Washington Township, New Jersey says she needs a vacation from her vacation.
"I'm glad to be home and I'm going to Wildwood," Allen said.
Allen along with many others returned to Baltimore Tuesday night.
They had departed from the dock last Friday on a Royal Caribbean "Grandeur of the Seas" cruise ship heading for the Bahamas.
But their trip came to an abrupt end yesterday when a fire broke out on the ship around 3:00 a.m.
Passengers were thrust into panic mode.
Allen shot cell phone video of people suited up in life vests standing still in fear as the lifeboats lowered thinking they were about to evacuate the ship.
"When we got on the deck, the flames were shooting off the back of the ship. When the lifeboats lowered you know it's real, so that was kind of bad," Brad McCready of Salisbury, Maryland said.
"It's very uneasy; there were lifeboats, but you were thinking Titanic," Allen said.
Thankfully, the fire was put out. No one was hurt and evacuations were not necessary.
The ship safely docked at Freeport, the Bahamas, where the trip came to an end.
Despite a shortened and chaotic vacation, passengers couldn't help but be thankful this morning.
With a round of applause, Allen's cell phone video shows a crowd of more than 2,000 expressing its appreciation to the cruise ship captain and fire crew for calming their fears and keeping them safe during the crisis at sea.
"All the passengers, not one person said a bad thing, everyone thought it was handled it very well," Allen said.
While Royal Caribbean is offering each passenger a credit to cruise for free in the future not everyone is up for it.
Jennifer Allen says she needs to give it some thought as she's still understandably rattled after this experience.
fire, new jersey, gloucester county, baltimore, maryland, bahamas, cruises, national/world, jennifer joyce
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Investigators chase 'every angle' in missing jet
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run 34 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Are store credit cards worth the discount? 27 min ago
- Video: 85-year-old grandma outsmarts robber
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act