John Malkovich helps Ohio tourist hurt in Canada
DEFIANCE, Ohio (AP) - June 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- A tourist from northwest Ohio says actor John Malkovich played a starring role in rescuing him when he fell and gashed his throat on scaffolding in Canada.
Seventy-seven-year-old Jim Walpole of Defiance fell Thursday in Toronto while on a trans-Canadian trip.
Walpole tells the Toronto Star that Malkovich, who was appearing at a local theater, applied pressure to slow the bleeding until medics arrived. The injury required 10 stitches.
Ben Quinn, whose family owns a restaurant nearby, held Walpole's head. He said by phone Monday that Malkovich "had everything under control" quickly, didn't want attention and called later to check on Walpole.
A message seeking an update was left for Walpole on Monday. Representatives for Malkovich did not immediately respond to messages seeking comment.
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos