Man charged with shooting wife at Texas Army base
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - June 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- A man suspected of shooting his wife at a Texas Army base was charged Tuesday with domestic violence.
A federal criminal complaint filed by prosecutors alleges that Alvin Roundtree, 51, carried a .45-caliber pistol onto Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio on Monday and got into an argument with his common-law wife. He then allegedly shot her multiple times. His wife, who is on active duty, was in stable condition Tuesday at the San Antonio Military Medical Center, a statement released by the U.S. attorney's office said. The victim identified Roundtree as the man who shot her, the statement added.
Roundtree is scheduled to appear before a federal magistrate on Thursday. If convicted, he could face 20 years in prison and a $250,000 fine.
The incident took place at the Army Medical Department Center and School, where the victim is an instructor. Authorities said the shooter went into the victim's office and began talking to her. The pair then continued a discussion on a veranda outside the building, where the shooter eventually fired multiple shots, Col. Jim Chevallier, vice commander of 502 Air Base Wing, said.
The victim's co-workers are medical professionals, and they were the first to attend to her wounds, Chevallier.
Chevallier said the shooter got in his car and drove from the medical center. He later parked and tried to run while still within the base, but thought better of it. San Antonio police arrested Roundtree and turned him over to military police.
Roundtree is in federal custody because the shooting took place on a military base, and the FBI is investigating.
Fort Sam Houston is one of the oldest U.S. military bases still in operation and is located in central San Antonio. Besides hosting one of the nation's top burn units, most army medics undergo training there.
texas, shooting, u.s. army, national/world
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ