Violent weekend in Chicago leaves at least 6 dead
CHICAGO (AP) - June 17, 2013 (WPVI) -- Chicago Police are investigating after a violent weekend left at least six people dead and more than three dozen wounded in a series of shootings.
The Chicago Sun-Times reported Monday that it was the most violent weekend of the year in the city.
Authorities say the first homicide of the weekend happened late Friday on the city's West Side. The tally, which included at least 41 injuries, spanned Friday night through Sunday night.
The Cook County Medical Examiner's office said Monday morning that the youngest victim was 15-year-old Michael Westley, who died Sunday.
Chicago Police officials told the newspaper that more shootings took place during the same weekend last year and that there have been fewer murders so far in 2013 than any year since the mid-1960s.
chicago, police, shooting, national/world
- Suspect in killing of fmr. Marine surrenders 22 min ago
- Clouds, some sun, mild today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings 2 min ago
- Attack in Washington Square caught on camera 10 min ago
- Kutztown coach accused of covering up teen's rape
- Hunting Park standoff ends with surrender 21 min ago
- Toys for Tots: Woman on video was volunteer
- Man critically injured in hit-and-run in SW Philly
- Ocean County police to carry heroin antidote
- Co-host of HGTV show killed in motorcycle crash
- Sophia, Jackson most popular baby names of 2013
- Photos: Paul Walker: Pictures of crash scene, vigil
- Photos: Open House: Pat Croce's $7.95M mansion