Dolce and Gabbana convicted of tax evasion
MILAN (AP) - June 19, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Milan court on Wednesday convicted the designers Domenico Dolce and Stefano Gabbana of tax evasion.
They were found guilty of failing to declare 200 million euros ($268 million) through a Luxembourg company to authorities and given a one year and eight months suspended jail sentence. They were ordered to pay a penalty of 500,000 euros (about $670,000) to tax authorities.
The court, however, acquitted them of misrepresenting income of 416 million euros (around $560 million) each, even though the statute of limitations had expired on the charge.
The designers have denied the charges. Defense lawyer Massimo Dinoia pledged to appeal the ruling, saying the fact the court issued an acquittal on a charge that had expired, instead of just letting it fall to the statute of limitations, "means the proof of their innocence is evident."
Two years ago, a judge threw out a tax evasion and fraud case against the pair, whose label Dolce&Gabbana is a Milan fashion mainstay. Italy's high court later ruled the designers could be prosecuted for tax evasion, though not for fraud.
Three other defendants, including two managers, were also convicted in the scheme and given suspended sentences of one year and four months. A sixth defendant was acquitted.
italy, fashion, taxes, national/world
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 26 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air 16 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford 10 min ago
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire 30 min ago
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion 30 min ago
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel 30 min ago
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp....
26 min ago
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion
30 min ago
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
30 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
16 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos