Death toll in Indian monsoon flooding exceeds 500
JOSHIMATH, India (AP) - June 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- A top official in a northern Indian state hit by heavy monsoon rains says more than 500 people died in the flooding and landslides.
Uttrakhand's Chief Minister Vijay Bahguna says 556 bodies have been noticed buried deep in slush and the army was trying to recover them. He spoke to CNN-IBN television channel on Friday.
Rescuers also Friday found 40 bodies floating in the River Ganges near Haridwar, a Hindu holy city. The heavy rains caused by the annual monsoon have also stranded tens of thousands, mostly pilgrims, in the mountainous region.
india, flooding, national/world
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard 29 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill 40 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County 49 min ago
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco 42 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 44 min ago
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
40 min ago
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239...
29 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun...
44 min ago
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
49 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos