Small plane crashes into ocean in Maryland
OCEAN CITY, Md. - June 30, 2013 (WPVI) -- A small plane has crashed into the ocean in Ocean City, and the resort town's mayor says the pilot is presumed dead.
Authorities say the plane went down around 4 p.m., about 500 yards offshore at 133rd Street, about a mile from the Delaware state line. Mayor Rick Meehan says witnesses told police that the aircraft began spinning out of control and crashed into the ocean.
Meehan says it's believed that only the pilot was on board and that there are no survivors.
Maryland State Police spokesman Greg Shipley says divers believe they have located debris from the plane, but they called off the search for the night. They will return to the area in the daylight.
The Coast Guard says it was a single-engine CJ-6A that took off from Ocean City Municipal Airport.
maryland, plane crash, national/world
- Driver ID'd, charged in fatal crash in Lawrence, N.J. 34 min ago
- Very cold today, Saturday storm
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating 29 min ago
- On video: serial smash-and-grab burglar in action 9 min ago
- DA: Woman stole $81K from Montco church
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Police: Freshman dies after frat ritual in Poconos
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- Photos: Top Holiday Tech Gifts 2013!
- Photos: The Headhouse District's Winter Wonderland 46 min ago
- Sign up for Facebook Flash!
- On video: serial smash-and-grab burglar in...
9 min ago
- Driver ID'd, charged in fatal crash in...
34 min ago