Bandits rob cash-courier boat in Venetian lagoon
ROME (AP) - July 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- Italian news reports say three armed bandits pulled up alongside a courier boat in a Venice lagoon and robbed it of nearly 1.3 million euros ($1.7 million) in cash.
Italian news agency ANSA said the heist occurred Monday just after an armored truck delivered three cases of money to the courier boat destined for banks and post offices in Venice. ANSA says the bandits took two cases containing banknotes, but left behind the third one, which was filled with coins.
Venice police said no one was immediately available to give more information. The Venice-based armored courier company Civis declined to give details about the heist on one of its boats.
The report said the courier boat had just left the dock when the bandits' boat pulled up next to it.
italy, theft, national/world
- Photos: AccuWeather Maps: Snow arrives
- Snow will turn the ground white again!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
- March Madness: Villanova, St. Joe's, UDel all in
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids