New York City building explosion injures 12
NEW YORK (AP) - July 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- An explosion inside a Chinatown building on Thursday led to a fire and a partial collapse, injuring a dozen people, including firefighters.
Three of those injured were hospitalized in serious condition. Injuries to the other people, including the four firefighters, were minor.
An emergency call about the fire at the five-story brick building, which has businesses on the first level and apartments above, came in around 12:45 p.m., the fire department said. The explosion and fire shattered windows on the first three floors.
When firefighters got to the scene, "we opened the front door and could see the fire in the back," fire Assistant Chief Robert Boyce said. It was unclear what caused the explosion on the first floor, he said, and there was minimal collapse inside the building but nothing structural.
Building resident Tszkan Cheung, who had been in his fourth-floor apartment eating lunch at the time, described what he heard as "boom, like a bombing, like an earthquake."
He made it out of the building on his own but saw firefighters carrying out a woman with a severely damaged leg.
Resident Jinjoo Yang, who lives next door, said, "I heard a big sound. It sounded like something big fell from the next floor. I felt the whole floor shaking."
She said gray smoke, smelling like gas, went into her apartment.
Boyce said one victim had to be taken out of a third-floor window.
The fire was under control shortly after 1:30 p.m. The cause of the fire hadn't been determined.
new york city, building collapse, national/world
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's wish 27 min ago
- Record Warmth! 18 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school dies 27 min ago
- 6 apartments destroyed in Wilmington fire
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting 27 min ago
- $10K reward posted in Delco murder case 27 min ago
- Police search for missing Delco mother 26 min ago
- Woman arrested in fatal North Philly stabbing
- 4 charged with murder in NJ mall carjacking 26 min ago
- NASA astronauts tackle urgent spacewalking repairs
- Ransomeware a growing cyber threat for thousands
- Free diner for sale in Lawrence Twp., NJ
- Carolers sing to grant Pa. cancer patient's...
27 min ago
- 1 dead, 1 wounded in East Mt. Airy shooting
27 min ago
- Hospital: Teen shot at Colorado high school...
27 min ago
- Record Warmth!
18 min ago