New York City building explosion injures 12
NEW YORK (AP) - July 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- An explosion inside a Chinatown building on Thursday led to a fire and a partial collapse, injuring a dozen people, including firefighters.
Three of those injured were hospitalized in serious condition. Injuries to the other people, including the four firefighters, were minor.
An emergency call about the fire at the five-story brick building, which has businesses on the first level and apartments above, came in around 12:45 p.m., the fire department said. The explosion and fire shattered windows on the first three floors.
When firefighters got to the scene, "we opened the front door and could see the fire in the back," fire Assistant Chief Robert Boyce said. It was unclear what caused the explosion on the first floor, he said, and there was minimal collapse inside the building but nothing structural.
Building resident Tszkan Cheung, who had been in his fourth-floor apartment eating lunch at the time, described what he heard as "boom, like a bombing, like an earthquake."
He made it out of the building on his own but saw firefighters carrying out a woman with a severely damaged leg.
Resident Jinjoo Yang, who lives next door, said, "I heard a big sound. It sounded like something big fell from the next floor. I felt the whole floor shaking."
She said gray smoke, smelling like gas, went into her apartment.
Boyce said one victim had to be taken out of a third-floor window.
The fire was under control shortly after 1:30 p.m. The cause of the fire hadn't been determined.
new york city, building collapse, national/world
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall 39 min ago
- Milder Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown 31 min ago
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton 58 min ago
- Vietnam says it may have found missing jet's door
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls 22 min ago
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- Mom accused of driving into surf goes before judge
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry...
39 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
31 min ago