Twinkies make early return at Wal-Mart stores
NEW YORK (AP) - July 14, 2013 (WPVI) -- Twinkies are making an early comeback at Wal-Mart stores, and they won't be frozen beforehand.
The world's largest retailer says it is selling the snack cakes at about 1,600 stores starting Friday and that about 3,000 of its 4,000 U.S. stores should have them by Sunday morning, a day before Hostess had said the cakes would start hitting shelves nationwide.
By late next week, stores will also have Hostess Mini Muffins and fried Fruit Pies, said Wal-Mart spokeswoman Veronica Marshall. Coffee Cakes, Ho Hos, Orange CupCakes, Suzy Qs and Zingers will be available by August.
Sno-Balls will arrive in the fall.
The new owners of Hostess have said it will be freezing Twinkies for about 10 percent of its retailers upon request. Marshall said Wal-Mart isn't one of those.
northeast philadelphia, hostess, philadelphia, walmart, national/world
- Multi-vehicle crash closes EB Pa. Turnpike 1 min ago
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Volleyball coach accused sex with student 28 min ago
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd 45 min ago
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Photos: Pictures of the Pa. Turnpike crash
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar