Cops find body near Michigan store where woman taken
DEARBORN, Mich. (AP) - July 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- A woman's body was found Thursday near a suburban Detroit discount store where a 20-year-old assistant store manager was abducted and her co-worker was fatally shot, police said.
Investigators found the body in a wooded area a couple of miles east of the Family Dollar store where the Monday night shooting and abduction occurred, Dearborn Police Chief Ron Haddad said at a news conference.
Haddad said the body bore similarities to that of Brenna Machus, who authorities believe was abducted in the attack.
The body of Machus' co-worker, 20-year-old Joseph Orlando, was discovered at the store Tuesday morning. Orlando had been shot to death. The motive for the attack was unknown.
The store's surveillance video captured images of the suspect, who waved as he walked into the Family Dollar store Monday night. Dearborn police have urged the public to step forward with any tips about the man in dark clothes with a hood over his head. His face can't be seen on the video, but Haddad hopes someone recognizes his clothing or the way he walks.
Friends and relatives of Machus made a tearful public appeal Wednesday for information on her whereabouts.
Machus worked for Family Dollar for more than a year at different locations in the Detroit area. Orlando was hired just last week.
missing person, shooting, michigan, national/world
- Numbers drawn for $636M Mega Millions jackpot
- Overnight Snow Showers South
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Phila. attorney Charles Peruto, Sr. dies
- Dramatic video released of violent 7-Eleven robbery
- Coach charged with sexually assaulting 4 more victims
- Woman found murdered in Bethlehem
- 91-year-old man stabbed, robbed in Egg Harbor
- Harvard student charged in campus bomb hoax
- Kevin Hart on stolen computers: I'll be back
- Gunman kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- NASA orders urgent spacewalk repairs at station