Indiana boy dies after baseball hits head, neck
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - July 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- An 8-year-old eastern Indiana boy has died after a baseball hit him in the head and neck.
The Marion County Coroner's Office says Dylan Williams died of blunt force trauma Thursday, two days after suffering the injury in Union City, about 75 miles northeast of Indianapolis.
Coroner's office manager Marchele Hall tells The Indianapolis Star an autopsy showed the injury occurred on the right side of the boy's head and neck.
The boy was hit by a ball that had been thrown during practice Tuesday evening. He was taken to a hospital in Winchester, then transferred to an Indianapolis hospital.
Union City Fire Chief Gary Moore tells The (Muncie) Star Press that organizers of the baseball program were arranging help and counseling for other children who witnessed the accident.
indiana, child death, national/world
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to delay strike
- Paulsboro residents warned of contaminated water
- Pit bull found shot in NJ continues to recover
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- 3 injured in 2-alarm fire in Holmesburg
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police