Police: Baby's ashes taken in Ala purse snatching
MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) - July 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- A purse snatched from the arms of a young woman in Montgomery, Ala., contained the ashes of her deceased newborn baby.
Police spokeswoman Martha Earnhardt said Monday that Monica Thomas of Montgomery was carrying the cremated remains of son Jamar Simmons Jr. when she was knocked down by a robber who took her handbag Friday night.
The child only lived a couple hours after his birth, and Earnhardt says Thomas was carrying the remains in her purse because she planned to bury them at her mother's gravesite the following morning, on her 20th birthday.
The ashes were in a small box with the child's name and birthdate on the front.
Police Sgt. Mike Myrick said investigators are asking for the public's help locating the suspect and the ashes.
alabama, theft, national/world
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle 56 min ago
- AccuWeather: Tracking light snow tonight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car 10 min ago
- Police: Man strikes own brother in hit and run
- Berks County man stabbed to death in Bahamas 43 min ago
- 1 wounded in Lakewood drive-by shooting 17 min ago
- 2 men, sitting in SUV, shot in Chester
- 2 women injured in Overbrook fire
- Crimea votes on Ukraine secession
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by...
10 min ago