Police: Baby's ashes taken in Ala purse snatching
MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) - July 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- A purse snatched from the arms of a young woman in Montgomery, Ala., contained the ashes of her deceased newborn baby.
Police spokeswoman Martha Earnhardt said Monday that Monica Thomas of Montgomery was carrying the cremated remains of son Jamar Simmons Jr. when she was knocked down by a robber who took her handbag Friday night.
The child only lived a couple hours after his birth, and Earnhardt says Thomas was carrying the remains in her purse because she planned to bury them at her mother's gravesite the following morning, on her 20th birthday.
The ashes were in a small box with the child's name and birthdate on the front.
Police Sgt. Mike Myrick said investigators are asking for the public's help locating the suspect and the ashes.
alabama, theft, national/world
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target 41 min ago
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery 8 min ago
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Impact of Sunoco HQ, Citibank leaving Philly
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...
- Police search for suspects in religious...
8 min ago