Baby's body found in car trunk at Ohio auto shop
SHELBY, Ohio (AP) - July 24, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a mechanic working on a car found a baby's body inside a box in the vehicle's trunk at a repair shop in northern Ohio.
Police in Shelby say the mechanic discovered the body Tuesday after noticing a strange odor.
Investigators say the mechanic realized the odor was coming from the trunk, opened it and found the box. When the mechanic went to put the box to the curb for disposal, he opened it and found the body.
Police say the car's driver is a 17-year-old girl. She is being interviewed.
Shelby Police Chief Charlie Roub tells the Mansfield News Journal it's not clear how long the body had been inside the car.
ohio, automobiles, baby death, teens, national/world
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Very warm today, very cold tonight 37 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar 12 min ago
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak Lane 19 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
12 min ago
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak...
19 min ago
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
3 min ago