Florida boy survives being sucked into drainpipe
FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP) - August 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- A young boy is recovering in a southwest Florida hospital after he was sucked into a drainpipe while playing with other children and carried several hundred yards.
The Fort Myers News-Press reports the child ended up in the Caloosahatchee River. He was able to climb to safety before the adults who were running toward the river heard him yelling Thursday afternoon.
Fort Myers Battalion Chief Chris Bevan says the boy was swept about 300 yards through the drainpipe. He had been playing with friends, who ran to tell adults what happened.
Bevan says the boy was extremely lucky he wasn't knocked unconscious because he could have drowned.
- China: Vietnam detects signals from missing plane 12 min ago
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill 6 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County 15 min ago
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco 8 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge 10 min ago
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
6 min ago
- China: Vietnam detects signals from missing...
12 min ago
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun...
10 min ago
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
15 min ago
More 6abc.com resources
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos