Florida boy survives being sucked into drainpipe
FORT MYERS, Fla. (AP) - August 2, 2013 (WPVI) -- A young boy is recovering in a southwest Florida hospital after he was sucked into a drainpipe while playing with other children and carried several hundred yards.
The Fort Myers News-Press reports the child ended up in the Caloosahatchee River. He was able to climb to safety before the adults who were running toward the river heard him yelling Thursday afternoon.
Fort Myers Battalion Chief Chris Bevan says the boy was swept about 300 yards through the drainpipe. He had been playing with friends, who ran to tell adults what happened.
Bevan says the boy was extremely lucky he wasn't knocked unconscious because he could have drowned.
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Bitter Blast Thursday 12 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- Upper Darby man accused of burning son, 3
- Prosecutor: no charges against George Zimmerman
- Protestors block ICE building in Spring Garden
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School 23 min ago
- Shooting victim drives to Broad St. police station 43 min ago
- Power returns after outage at Christiana Mall 36 min ago
- New video shows deadly Asiana jet crash
- On video: Robber dives thru window, attacks clerk
- Women sentenced in murder of Danny DeGennaro
- Bitter Blast Thursday
12 min ago